Join Mark Lefitz for an in-depth discussion in this video Explaining final gathering, part of Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012).
We need to talk a little bit about final gather.…Final gather in mental ray is like a global illumination cheat when global…illumination is not set.…Final gather is mental ray's method to calculate diffuse reflections, where light…bounces from non-reflective surfaces.…This gives a render a lot more realistic look, especially when large…light sources are used.…As we've seen, I am using large light sources in our area lights.…So this is just another great reason to use area lights.…
So let's go ahead and look at our final gather settings.…With our Render Settings window open, we're going to go to our Indirect Lighting…tab, and we're now going to go under the Final Gathering rollout. Let's scroll down.…Open this up.…What I have here are my lower quality settings.…So here in our Render View, these are my lower quality settings.…We are going to increase our Accuracy, which is how many rays are used during…the render of the final gather.…Higher values are going to improve quality.…
So let's go from 50, which is our lower quality setting, to something around 200.…
- Understanding image-based lighting
- Analyzing and color correcting the background plate
- Creating a 3D camera to match the plate
- Lighting with low-quality settings and proxies
- Setting light samples
- Setting up render passes
- Rendering mattes ground shadow, and occlusions passes
- Adding gamma correction in Nuke
- Adding the object to the plate and rendering the final composite
- Retouching the composite using Photoshop
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya: Lighting and Rendering with mental raywith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
Creating Textures and Shaders in Mayawith Eric Keller3h 30m Intermediate
1. Image-Based Lighting
Correcting the HDRI5m 22s
2. Asset Integration
4. mental ray Rendering
5. Creating Secondary Passes
6. Compositing the Rendered Passes in Nuke
7. Final Touch-Ups in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.