Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Enabling mental ray, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…To maximize the realism of our product shot,…we're going to use the mental ray rendering engine.…This is a third party renderer, owned by…Nvidia, that's deeply integrated into AutoDeskMaya, and it…will give us some abilities, and some powers,…that we don't have with the Maya software renderer.…For example, we can use the mental…ray materials, such as mia material, which have…a lot of very powerful features that will…give us extremely realistic results on our materials.…
Mental ray also has features that allow us…to employ a so called linear lighting workflow.…This basically means that the rendering will…be more realistic because behind the scenes it's…employing a more physically accurate algorithm to…calculate the movement of light through the scene.…Another advantage of mental ray is that it allows us…to easily break up the various render components into separate passes.…For example, we can render the diffuse separately…from the specular and the reflections and so on.…
We can do that with the Maya software renderer,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.