Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Dust material, part of Maya: Advanced Materials.
- Now we're going to create a flat dust material.…I have the exercise file 02_05_Start open…so let's begin by opening the Hypershade…to create our dust material.…To do so, I'm going to go down…to the Create area and choose Maya Surface…and we're going to choose another Blend material.…The first thing we're going to do…with this blend material…is name it from blend6 to Dust_Material.…Now, unlike our reflective chrome material…we're going to have to take into account…for color and for the specular shading.…
Now, the color of our dust is going to be gray…but we need to add some randomness to it.…So, to do that, I'm going to come over here…and click on this little checkerboard pattern…which is going to allow us to open up…the Create Render Node option.…Inside of here, we have lots of different…2D and 3D textures to choose from…and the one that we're going to take advantage of right now…is going to be a 3D texture…and we're going to use the one called Stucco.…Now, you may be asking,…"Why are you using one that is red and blue…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.