Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Dressing an animated character, part of Understanding Maya nCloth.
Now we come to the most exciting, and the most challenging aspect of nCloth:…dressing an animated character.…You'll find that nCloth is a very complex system, and because of that, and the…many variables in nCloth, it won't work the first time you just drop an…nCloth onto a character,…and you will have to devote quite a lot of time to adjusting the many variables…to prevent issues, such as interpenetration.…I've spent a lot of time on this scene already, until I'm fairly confident…that it's going to work.…
In your own scene, you'll need to set aside quite a lot of time…for experimentation.…What's the process here?…Well, I've modeled the cloth in the character's bind pose, which is, of course,…the character's pose in which it was modeled, and then bound to a skeleton, and…traditionally, that's the T-pose, as we see here.…And then I've animated the character out of that T-pose into the first pose of…the actual animation.…So here, he's simply just lowered his arms down to his sides.…
And I took a good healthy 100 of frames to do that, and during that time, the…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Understanding the nucleus solver
- Adopting a scale convention
- Adjusting nCloth and nRigid attributes
- Creating and animating nConstraints
- Editing nConstraint membership and influence
- Smoothing nCloth with subdivision surfaces
- Storing and manipulating simulation data with nCache
- Improving simulation quality and efficiency
- Dressing an animated character
- Painting dynamic attributes such as Stickiness
- Simulating many objects such as falling leaves
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Textures and Shaders in Mayawith Eric Keller3h 30m Intermediate
1. nCloth Basics
2. Simulating Dynamic nCloth
3. Directing nCloth
4. Optimizing Performance
5. Integrating nCloth with Animation
6. Simulating Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.