Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Diffuse color, part of Maya: Advanced Materials.
- Now we will start looking at how…the light transition and color…for the material is controlled.…I am in Exercise File 03_03_Start.…The typical workflow for this material…is to first turn off all the weight values…for each attribute section.…Let's select our grape and take a look…at the Attribute Editor.…There are many attributes to the…mental ray subsurface scattering node.…And like I said previously,…this can become very intimidating.…But if we isolate each section…and take a look at it that way,…this becomes a much simpler process.…
Let's drop down to the Specularity and twirl that down.…Each section, Specularity, Subsurface Scattering,…and Diffuse Color, all have a weight value…attached to those.…The weight value will tell the shader…how much weight each section has…on the final look in the render.…If we turn them off, it takes that section…completely out of the render.…So for Specularity, even though we have…a primary and secondary specular color,…if we change the overall weight to zero,…there will be no specularity.…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.