Discover how to shade water with mental ray.
- [Voiceover] To achieve realistic foam…and clear liquid in the same fluid,…we can use a layered shader.…We're doing that, once again, because…the Bifrost liquid material…did not support subsurface scattering in the foam.…So we created our own foam…and we want to layer that over a liquid material,…but unfortunately,…at least in the current version of Maya,…the Bifrost liquid material and the layered shader…do not work together,…and so we cannot use the Bifrost liquid material…for this shot at all.…
We'll fall back to tried and true techniques.…We'll use mental ray nodes to get the job done.…Select the Alembic object in the viewport,…then right-click anywhere…and use assign new material.…In the assign new material dialogue,…go to the mental ray section…and click Mia material x passes.…The material is assigned…and the attribute editor opens to the shading group.…Go to the material shader node…and immediately rename it.…
Just put the word water at the beginning.…And we can choose a preset,…hold down the presets button in the attribute editor…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Understanding Bifröst
- Analyzing the node structure
- Emitting from a polygon mesh
- Colliding with objects
- Pushing and damping fluid motion with accelerators
- Caching Bifröst simulations
- Meshing liquid and exporting to Alembic
- Shading with the Bifröst liquid material
- Designing mental ray materials
- Layering shaders with Bifröst channel data
- Adding mist with an Aero simulation
- Texturing an Aero material
Skill Level Advanced
Maya: Particle and Fire Effects (2011)with Aaron F. Ross3h 46m Intermediate
Maya: Creating Fluid Effects (2013)with Aaron F. Ross2h 16m Intermediate
Maya Dynamics: Creating Simulations (2012)with Aaron F. Ross2h 11m Intermediate
1. Simulating a Liquid
2. Tuning and Storing a Simulation
3. Shading a Liquid
4. Using Bifröst Aero
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.