Learn and understand methods of customizing the Maya 2018 interface. In this video, take an in-depth look at ways to customize the Maya interface. The lesson starts off with ways to turn elements on and off using the Preferences window. Also learn how to change layouts and tear-off menus.
- [Instructor] Maya is a very customizable program…and that includes the interface.…Now, we can change the interface…by going into Preferences.…So, if I want to, I can go into Windows,…Settings Preferences, Preferences,…and that brings up my Preferences menu.…I can also get into this menu from the interface…by just clicking here on Animation Preferences.…Now, however you get into this window,…you need to go up to the top to Interface,…and this is where we start changing…what the interface looks like.…
Now, the first option here is really…just your main menu set.…So, if I wanted to, I can change from Modeling,…to Rigging, to Animation, and that's mirrored here.…But I also can turn off major parts of the interface.…So, if I wanted to, I could turn off the main menu…and that gives you a little bit more real estate.…So, if you're used to using the hotbox or something,…you might not need that top menu.…We can also turn off the menu in our panels.…So, if you don't really need that in your viewport,…you can turn that off and you can also turn off…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor George Maestri show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 11/15/2017. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover Quad Draw, UV mapping complex objects, overrides in Render Setup, working with the Time Editor, and creating animation clips.
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.