Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Customizing a glass material, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…The last object that needs a material is the glass on the front of the watch.…It's on a hidden layer right now.…We'll go into the display layers and unhide that glass layer.…And select the glass by right-clicking on the layer and choosing Select Objects.…We want to disable cast and receive shadows.…Although this is going to be transparent it'll actually dim the light a little bit.…Go into the Attribute Editor, Ctrl+A, and in that glassShape node, which is in Mesh…Object, go into Render Stats and turn Cast and Receive Shadows off.…
Next we'll want to assign a new material.…Right click on the object and choose Assign New Material…and once again, it will be a Mental Ray Material, mia_material_x_passes.…Go into the shader node and rename it, call it glass_mia…There is a preset for glass, go ahead and choose…that but we'll need to make some changes to it,…click in hold on presets and you'll see there multiple…variations on glass, glass physical, glass solid, glass thick, glass thin.…The one we want is glass solid.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.