Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating true on-face controls using clusters, part of Facial Rigging in Maya.
…Even when an extensive library of facial blend shapes has been created…for a character, animators sometimes require…additional direct control over the facial pose.…So for maximum expressiveness most technical directors also include…true on face controls on all primary character rigs.…Adding clusters to the facial mesh to make sculpting adjustments is…very simple but there are a couple less intuitive steps necessary…to ensure that the clusters and on-face controls move along with…the face that is being deformed by joints and blend shapes.…
So I have a fairly complete facial rig for this character in place, here.…And I'd like to add some localized control over the cheek so that the…animator won't need to rely exclusively on…the pre-built blend shapes that I've created.…I am going to select the mesh, right click and…get into vertex mode and I'll then grab some verts…and grow the selection by hitting the shift + greater than sign.…I'll then create a cluster by going to create deformer's cluster.…And then I'm going to paint a soft fall off for the…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya Essentials 5: Animation Toolswith George Maestri1h 20m Beginner
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.