Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a reflective tabletop material, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…Now that our most important material is…assigned and set up, we could actually start…working on fine-tuning the lighting and the…brightness of the white cards, and so on.…However, it's a better idea, actually, to get our ground plane sorted out…first, because it's not going to be an…actual diffuse material in the final rendering.…It's going to be a highly reflective tabletop…and for that reason we want to get that…sorted out first because that's going to have…a lot of influence on the final gather.…We'll assign a new material to the tabletop,…right-click the table layer and choose Select Objects.…
Then, right-click the object and choose Assign New Material.…And once again, it's going to be Media Material X Passes.…We'll rename it.…I like tabletop Mia…Press Enter.…There isn't really a preset that we can start from here.…So, we'll just go ahead and adjust the values directly.…I'm going to bring the color down to a pretty dark gray.…Maybe a value of about 0.15, we can click on the color…slot here, set that down to about more 0.16 will call it.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.