Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating an ideal diffuse test object, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…In this chapter we will create a studio lighting setup that behaves very similarly…to what we would do in a real photo shoot or a magazine ad.…And by emulating that technique, we will get very realistic results.…In this particular case, we have a bit of a challenge…because the materials are going to be almost completely reflective and specular.…There's going to be very little diffuse component.…And because of that it will be difficult for us…to evaluate whether our lights are at the correct intensities.…
Just to refresh your memory, specular and reflective components of…a material are the result of a highly polished smooth surface.…And the diffuse component comes from a rough surface.…So for example, a piece of paper is…almost all diffuse and no specular, whereas metal or…chrome, because it's highly polished, is going to…be almost all reflective and specular and no diffuse.…And if there's no diffuse component in a scene,…it'll be very difficult for us to evaluate whether…our light's at the correct intensity because it's going to…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.