Join Mark Lefitz for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a ground shadow pass, part of Photorealistic Lighting with Maya and Nuke (2012).
So, as I mentioned earlier, I like to mix the ground occlusion with the ground shadow.…Let's use our latest lighting file to spawn from in order to create…the groundShadow file.…The reason is because we already have our key light in there, and we don't have…to re-create a key light just for this file.…So here we are in the groundShadow file I made from my latest lighting file, and…the first thing we want to do is we want to select the key light, and let's make sure…the color of the key light is set to white, because the end result is we just…want a black and white image. We don't want much color in this.…
So let's select the color swatch, and let's just set to white, and now let's open…up our Outliner. Window > Outliner, and we are going to select just the elements we…want in our new render layer, which we are going to call groundShad.…So, the key light, the ground plane, the shotCam, and the car.…So let's go over here and select the icon, which is going to create a new…render layer with just the selected objects. Double-click; I am going to call this groundShad.…
- Understanding image-based lighting
- Analyzing and color correcting the background plate
- Creating a 3D camera to match the plate
- Lighting with low-quality settings and proxies
- Setting light samples
- Setting up render passes
- Rendering mattes ground shadow, and occlusions passes
- Adding gamma correction in Nuke
- Adding the object to the plate and rendering the final composite
- Retouching the composite using Photoshop
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya: Lighting and Rendering with mental raywith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
Creating Textures and Shaders in Mayawith Eric Keller3h 30m Intermediate
1. Image-Based Lighting
Correcting the HDRI5m 22s
2. Asset Integration
4. mental ray Rendering
5. Creating Secondary Passes
6. Compositing the Rendered Passes in Nuke
7. Final Touch-Ups in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.