Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating display layers, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…To streamline our workflow, we want to create display layers.…We can place different parts of the model on to various layers, so that…we can, for example, hide things, we…can reference things, so that they're untouchable.…We can also change their object color display, the wireframe color.…We can also for example select a whole bunch…of objects at once in order to assign materials.…So, we're going to create some display layers and they'll be organized based upon…what part of the model and what material will eventually assign to them.…
Let's open up the Outliner.…Go to Window > Outliner.…And open up the locator hierarchy.…And the locater is one thing we don't want to have on a layer.…Because if we place the locator on a display…layer, then all of it's children would inherit that layer.…And what we want in fact is for them all to be on separate layers.…So in fact the locater is the one thing that we are not going to place on a layer.…We'll start with an easy one, that's going to be the…glass, and it's just going to be on a layer by itself.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
Lighting and Rendering with mental ray in Mayawith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.