Illuminate a scene with an Arnold area light.
- [Instructor] In this chapter on studio lighting in Arnold…we will create a simple triangle set up to learn the basics.…In this rendering, I have a key, fill, and backlight.…And although the effect is of natural daylight,…this is actually an impressionistic lighting scheme.…In other words, we are not employing…a photometric daylight system,…but rather using studio techniques to achieve a desired…dramatic result and it is plausible…because it's physically accurate.…
It's just as if we were using studio lights…instead of natural daylight.…We're not using a proper scientific daylighting simulation…in this chapter so that we can art direct the shot…a little bit more easily.…We will look at scientific daylight in in another chapter…on natural lighting.…Let's create an Arnold area light outside the window…to provide some backlight illumination.…Arnold supports all Maya lights except for ambient…and volume lights.…
If we go into the create menus to lights,…if you create a directional point spot or area light,…it is rendered as an Arnold light…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Arnold rendering concepts
- Lighting with Maya and Arnold lights
- Controlling exposure
- Filtering light with Gobo
- Light attenuation with Decay
- Image-based lighting with Skydome
- Exterior daylight with Physical Sky
- Arnold Standard Surface material attributes
- Mapping material attributes
- Rendering refractions
- Mesh subdivision and displacement at render time
- Shading effects such as ambient occlusion and vertex color
- Camera effects such as fisheye and depth of field
- Animation image sequence rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Studio Lighting
3. Natural and Environmental Lighting
4. Materials and Mapping
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.