Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the alpha materials, part of Maya: Advanced Materials.
- We have all of our simple materials created.…Next, we will want to layer these rendered images,…one on top of one another in our composite software,…in this case After Effects,…in order to combine them into a single image.…We will use Maya surface materials to create alpha mattes.…Alpha mattes are black and white images…that provide the composite software…with the transparency information for an image.…If you are unfamiliar with alpha mattes,…or simply want to brush up your knowledge, check out the…Maya Rendering for After Effects Composites with Lee Lanier.…
I'm here in Maya, and we have…our exercise file 02_06_Start open.…Let's start by opening the Hypershade to begin.…We're going to go to the Create area under Surface,…and drag all the way to the bottom…to create what is called a Surface Shader.…A Surface Shader is different than…a lot of the other shaders,…as it only retains color information…and does not take lighting information…into account at the render.…So it's great for creating these alpha mattes.…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.