Learn the basics of how to turn a NURBS curve into a surface using the Revolve tool in Maya 2018. In this video, George shows you how to draw a simple 2D curve shape, then revolve that shape into a 3D object using Maya. He shows you how to do a full and partial revolve, as well as how to manage detail in the resulting surface.
- [Instructor] Now that we understand a little bit…about how to create curves…let's use those curves to create a nurbs surface.…So, we'll start off with a simple surface called a revolve.…And what this does is it takes a curve…and revolves it around an axis…to create a radial type of surface.…So in order to do this, we do need a flat curve.…So I'm going to start off in an orthographic viewport.…So I'm going to hop out to a viewport here…and let's go into a side viewport.…And I'm also going to turn on snap…and the reason I want to do that is because…I want everything to be registered to zero…so when we have the revolve…everything lines up the way that we want.…
So I'm going to snap to grid here.…And let's go ahead and do create curve tools…CV curve tool.…So, if I click at the origin…you'll see that the first point snaps there.…We can create a second point.…And now we can start to create a shape.…So let's create a simple bowl here.…So I'm going to go ahead…and just…click my way around.…And let's go ahead and create a bowl.…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.