Learn about curves on surface in Maya 2019. Understand how to draw NURBS curves directly on a surface in Maya. In this video, George demonstrates how to make a NURBS surface live and then draw curves directly on it. These curves can then be used as the basis for additional modeling or to trim away the surface.
- [Instructor] In the last lesson,…we saw how to do duplicate surface curves…to create curves that match a surface.…Another way to do this is to draw…the curves directly on the surface.…And these are called curves on surface.…So let's create a simple NURBS object,…and show you how that works.…So I'm going to create a NURBS plane,…so I'm going to go into create, NURBS primitive, plane,…and I'm just going to go ahead and drag out a plane,…and I'm actually going to turn off the grid so we can see this.…
And then in my inputs here, I'm going to go ahead…and change my patches to say, three and three,…so that gives me just a little bit more detail.…Now this is just a NURBS patch, and if I wanted to…I could take my control vertices and move them around,…reshape it, do whatever I want,…but a NURBS patch is basically a 2D object…that's been deformed in 3D, so instead of…x and y coordinates, we have u and v.…
And now we can use those to draw curves…along the u and v axis, that stick to the surface.…Now the way that we do this…
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.