Learn how to create creases in subdivision surfaces using Maya 2018. In this video, George shows you how to control the sharpness of the creases, and how to limit the effect to a single edge or the entire model.
- [Instructor] Another way to control the curvature…of subdivision surfaces is to use the crease tool.…So let's take a look at how that works.…I have this chair here, and let's go ahead…and hide the chair layer.…And we just want to see…this legs and the support.…So I'm going to go ahead and select these.…And let's go ahead and hit three…to sub-divide, and as you can see,…we're not really getting what we want.…
So I'm going to go ahead and hit two…to show the cages.…Now, if we want to control…how this sub-divides…we can use the crease tool.…So how this works is we…go into edge modes.…So I'm going to right click,…go into edge mode.…And then under mesh tools, we do crease.…Now all I have to do is select an edge, or edges.…
And then middle click and drag.…So I'm going to go ahead and double click on this…and that selects the whole edge loop.…And then middle click and drag…to control that curvature.…So if I drag all the way to the right…it makes it perfectly sharp.…So let's do that again for this one.…Double click.…Middle click and drag.…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.