Become familiar with and learn about the various methods employed to convert NURBS surfaces to polygonal surfaces in Maya 2018. Converting surfaces is a good way to model in NURBS for a polygonal model. This video shows you methods for doing the conversion, how to manage detail, and ways to keep the detail exactly in the right place.
- - [Instructor] When you model in nurbs,…there are many times when you'll need to…convert those surfaces to polygons.…So Maya has a number of ways to do that.…So let's take a look at that.…Now conversion happens under the Modify panel.…And we have a Convert menu.…Now if I tear this off, you'll see that…we've got a lot of different options here.…We have nurbs to polygons, nurbs to sub div,…and so on.…We have sub div to nurbs.…So, we can actually move between different types…of geometry fairly easily.…
Now, probably the most common method is to take nurbs…and bring them into polygons…for things such as gaming, and so on.…So let's go ahead and convert this simple nurbs object…to polygons.…So if we go to modify, convert…nurbs to polygons.…And let's go ahead and take a look at the options.…Now the options for this…are…really right here.…There is the type of geometry we want.…
Do we want triangles?…Or do we want quads?…I'm going to leave that at triangles for right now.…The tessalation method,…we have general,…standard fit, count,…
First explore the basics of the Maya interface, including selecting and manipulating objects, organizing scenes, and customizing the interface. Next, learn about polygonal modeling, creating and refining meshes, sculpting, and working with NURBS surfaces. Once you understand modeling, discover how to create and apply materials—adding color, texture, and reflectivity to your creations. Then integrate cameras, lighting, and effects into the rendering process, and leverage the new Arnold for Maya renderer. Last but not least, instructor show how to add movement and life to your work with Maya's animation tools.
- Getting familiar with the Maya interface
- Configuring viewports and workspaces
- Selecting and manipulating objects
- Creating hierarchies and layers in scenes
- Creating polygonal models
- Modeling and refining polygonal meshes
- Working with subdivision surfaces
- Sculpting a basic landscape
- NURBs modeling
- Creating and applying materials and textures
- Adding lights and cameras to a scene
- Rendering in Arnold
- Animating in Maya
Skill Level Beginner
1. The Maya Interface
2. Select and Manipulate Objects
3. Organize Maya Scenes
4. Create Polygonal Models
5. Model Polygonal Meshes
6. Refine Polygonal Meshes
7. NURBS Modeling Techniques
8. Refine NURBS Models
9. Create Materials
10. Apply Materials and Textures
11. Render in Maya
12. Render in Arnold
13. Animate in Maya
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.