Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Controlling mental ray quality, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…For the final rendering of our studio lighting set up we…want to make a couple of adjustments to the quality of the rendering.…First of all in the mental ray settings check…that out, go into the render settings dialog and under…quality, our setting from the last movie was a…value of 1 but we were still getting some grame.…Let's set this to a value of 1.5…and that's going to significantly increase the render time.…Up from 18 minutes to, you know, something more on the order of a half hour or more.…But it's going to be worth it because we will eliminate the grame.…
We don't really need to take it up any further than 1.5.…The maximum here is 2 and that would be excessive and that…would just increase the rendered time and we wouldn't see that much difference.…So a value of 1.5 will be fine.…The other variable we want to consider here is the sampling of the area lights.…Remember earlier we had set all of the area lights to have a high samples.…Let's check in on those.…I'm going to unreference the area light layer, lights layer, click on the R.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.