Join Eric Keller for an in-depth discussion in this video Comparing mental ray and Maya shader nodes, part of Creating Textures and Shaders in Maya.
In this movie, we're going to talk a little bit about the mental ray…specific attributes that are found on standard Maya shaders, shaders such as…the Blinn shader and the Lambert shader, and these could be useful for…creating specific shading effects.…So in this scene, I have a number of teapots with different shaders applied.…These are all my standard shaders, but I've adjusted some of the settings in the…mental ray attributes section of each shader's attribute Eeditor.…Let's take a look at what I've done.…
On the orange teapot here in the far left, I've added some blurry reflections.…You can see them right here.…So let's take a look at what I've done with the shader.…I'm going to select the teapot and open up its Attribute Editor to the…blurryReflectionBlinn tab. This is the shader that I've created for…this particular teapot.…And it's a standard Maya blinn shader. There's nothing too special going on.…I've a kind of dark orange for the color.…Most of the other settings are the default settings.…
- Understanding shading concepts
- Simulating the Fresnel effect for realistic reflections
- Rendering transparent and translucent surfaces
- Comparing mental ray and Maya standard shaders
- Introducing the mia_material
- Developing shader networks
- Using subsurface scattering shaders
- Mapping polygon UV coordinates
- Incorporating texture nodes into networks
- Improving skin detail with ambient occlusion
- Painting bump maps
- Creating normal and displacement maps
- Troubleshooting maps
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Ninness11h 15m Beginner
Creating Natural Environments in Mayawith Aaron F. Ross4h 18m Intermediate
Maya: Lighting and Rendering with mental raywith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Shading Concepts
2. Shading in mental ray
4. mental ray Texture Nodes
5. Creating Surface Details with Textures
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.