Join Eric Keller for an in-depth discussion in this video Comparing NURBS and polygon UVs, part of Creating Textures and Shaders in Maya.
In this movie we're going to talk about the differences between UV coordinates…as they are related to polygon and NURBS surfaces, and talk a little bit about…the advantages of using one over the other, at least in relation to texturing.…The primary difference between textured coordinates for NURBS surfaces as…opposed to polygon surfaces is that NURBS surfaces have what's known as implicit UVs.…In other words, the UV texture coordinates are built in to the surface,…whereas polygons have separate UVs, UVs that can be added in independently of…the other components on the surface like the vertices, the edges, and the…faces and so on and so forth.…
So there are advantages and disadvantages to using one over the other.…The nice thing about NURBS surfaces is since that they have implicit UVs,…it means that you don't have to go through the process of setting up or mapping…your UV coordinates which can be a lot of work.…The disadvantage of course is that means that you have less control over how the…
- Understanding shading concepts
- Simulating the Fresnel effect for realistic reflections
- Rendering transparent and translucent surfaces
- Comparing mental ray and Maya standard shaders
- Introducing the mia_material
- Developing shader networks
- Using subsurface scattering shaders
- Mapping polygon UV coordinates
- Incorporating texture nodes into networks
- Improving skin detail with ambient occlusion
- Painting bump maps
- Creating normal and displacement maps
- Troubleshooting maps
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Ninness11h 15m Beginner
Creating Natural Environments in Mayawith Aaron F. Ross4h 18m Intermediate
Maya: Lighting and Rendering with mental raywith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Shading Concepts
2. Shading in mental ray
4. mental ray Texture Nodes
5. Creating Surface Details with Textures
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.