Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Chrome material, part of Advanced Materials in Maya.
- Now that we have the basic settings we need,…let's take a look at our first exercise file,…and create our first simple material chrome.…I have the exercise file 02_03_start open here,…and what you'll see in this file,…is that we have a wood fence,…a gazing ball, and a gazing ball stand.…And we also have a main camera created.…The main camera is to allow us…to make sure all of our renders are the same,…but still allow us to have a perspective camera…to move around and make selections as needed.…
Let's first open the Hypershade,…by coming up to this icon,…which is Display Hypershade Window,…and in the Hypershade, let's create our first material.…Under the Maya option, I'm going to choose Surface,…and click on Blinn.…This will create our first material.…One thing that's very important,…not only in this course, but in all Maya usage,…is name everything.…I know that it seems like a lot of work,…and can become very tedious,…but believe me, it is well worth it.…So with our new Blinn 5, we're going to change its name…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.