Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Character rig overview: Simple character, part of Character Animation: Maya.
- View Offline
Along with the exercise files, we've given you two basic rigs.…Let me show you the first of those.…We're going to go File > Open, and we should be in our Chapter 0/scenes…directory because we've set our project.…And we have two characters.…One is called Full Character; one is called Simple Character.…So let's go ahead and open up the Simple Character and we'll show you that one first.…As you can see, it's a very, very basic character.…And what I really wanted to do with this is just to give you a nice, light,…easy-to-animate character that can be used just to get the hang of animation.…
If we go through this, we can see that we have basically a number of…controls for the character.…If you grab on any one of these curves, you can see that we can actually…manipulate the character.…So for example, if I grab this one here, this star shaped one, you can see here…that this is called the HIPS, and it controls the hips.…So if I hit W for Move, I can move the hips.…Now we also have a number of other ones here.…
Prerequisite courses: Maya 2011 Essential Training.
- Using screen-drawing tools for Windows and Mac
- Quickly posing characters with custom MEL scripts and layers
- Understanding forces and their role in creating lifelike animation
- Sequencing and timing pose-to-pose animation
- Fine-tuning transitions
- Animating a character's gait and run
- Crafting realistic facial expressions
- Syncing speech to animated dialogue