Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Create the look of jade, part of Advanced Materials in Maya.
- Throughout this chapter we have worked with an…advanced Mental Ray Subsurface Scattering Shader…to create a great material.…Your challenge is to use the scene files you've been…working on and make the grapes into jade stone sculptures.…Here, you can see three different types of jade stone.…The first is the smaller carving with it's deep green color…and marbling texture.…You can see the light scattering effect…in the outside edges of this carving.…The second is a jade Chinese figure.…You can see he really has no change in the green color…throughout the sculpture, unlike the carving we just saw.…
This guy also has been polished to a shiny,…reflective finish.…And then there is this example of a jade sculpture…that left the final surface in a more raw…state of the stone.…You can see the light scattering effects,…but the color is much more desaturated.…So, here is your challenge.…Continue working with the models of the grapes.…Create a new shader to make the grapes…look like jade stone sculptures.…You should find reference materials on your own…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.