Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Challenge: Add your own material, part of Maya: Advanced Materials.
- So in this chapter you've been exposed to…two different techniques to create this advanced material.…Now let's see what you can do.…For instance, can you add rust on the chrome gazing ball…like in the examples here of the car?…You can see the rust on the bumper…and how it is very spotty.…Or in the flat example, the chipping of the chrome…from the surface showing the primer underneath.…There's even moss, try giving that a shot.…So your challenge is to continue with the current project…Dirty Gazing Ball and add rust, moss, and anything else…that would add to the realism of the gazing ball.…
Find reference examples of your own…and render your idea to see what you can create.…The opportunities are only limited to your imagination.…I will let you choose the rendering technique…for how you want to work this challenge out,…but keep building on what you've already started here.…This challenge should probably take you…at least 30 minutes to complete…and make sure to check out the solution movie…to see what I did to solve this challenge.…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.