Join Andy Beane for an in-depth discussion in this video Blurry chrome material, part of Advanced Materials in Maya.
- The chrome material we just created…was perfectly reflective,…and the first big tell…that something is a 3-D rendered image,…even when using photo environments,…is perfection.…So let's look at how we can create a material…that can render blurry reflections.…I'm starting here with the exercise file 02_04_start,…which has our gazing ball…with the perfect chrome material assigned.…To begin by creating our blurry material,…I'm going to go to the hypershade,…and duplicate our chrome material.…I'm going to select the chrome material…and go to Edit,…Duplicate,…Shading Network.…
So now you can see that we have a duplicate…Chrome_Material1.…I'm going to rename that material,…from Chrome_Material1…to Blurry_Chrome,…and I'm going to assign that chrome material…to our object.…So I'm going to select our object,…shift select our blurry chrome,…and right click and choose Assign Material to Selection.…Now the options to make…a Blinn shader in Maya blurry…actually is an atribute that is not accessible…from the property editor in the hypershade.…
Andy Beane includes two methods for creating advanced Maya materials. He starts with smaller, easier materials that can be composited together. He then shows how to combine these same materials in an all-in-one-method for rendering, and evaluate the pros and cons of both techniques. Chapter 3 demonstrates the subsurface scattering (SSS) material in mental ray, which will strengthen your material toolbox, and shows how to composite the results in After Effects.
- Collecting and creating reference material
- Using simple materials vs. a large complex shader network
- Setting up the scene
- Creating alpha materials
- Compositing individual materials
- Putting it all together in one material
- Subsurface scattering with mental ray materials
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Basics of Advanced Materials
2. Basic Materials Made Better
3. Advanced mental ray Materials
Next steps1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.