Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Blurring a file map, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…As you can see, we're getting fairly…well defined reflections from the environment here.…I'd like to blur that a bit, so it's not quite as defined.…One way we could do it, would be to change the glossiness, of the table top material.…We could reduce the glossiness.…If we did that, then it would blur the environment, but it…would also blur these reflections here, which I don't really want to do.…Additionally if we reduce the glossiness you would have to…reduce the glossy samples, which would increase our render time.…
It's much easier to simply blur the environment.…Now of course we could take the environment map into…Photoshop or other image editing program and blur it there.…But that would be a destructive act.…And it would be an extra step we have to take.…We can actually create the blur effect directly from within Maya.…And that would be nondestructive.…We can go back and make changes at any time.…So let's do that.…I'll minimize the render view.…And I want to select the environment.…Right-click on the environment layer and choose select objects.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
Maya: Lighting and Rendering with mental raywith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.