Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Blending between a GUI- and target-based eye setup, part of Facial Rigging in Maya.
…Since all animators have their own workflow preferences, and…each shot has its own specific demands, technical directors should…aim to include as many options as possible in…their rigs, as long as it doesn't bog down performance.…In this lesson, we'll explore how the GUI and Look…At style eye controls can be incorporated into the same setup.…So I've created two sets of locators, and they're being driven by separate controls.…The first set are the UI locators, that are being driven by the GUI.…And this is set up exactly as I did in the previous lesson, just driving the rotation…values of the locators, based off of the translation values of the GUI.…
And then the second set of locators are…aimed at my Look At control, my eye target.…Again, just using the same setup I described before, using an…in constraint to drive the rotation values of the eye locators.…So, when multiple behaviors are desired in a rig, it's not…at all uncommon to create two separate set-ups or more, and…then feed those different behaviors into the final rig, in order…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya Essentials 5: Animation Toolswith George Maestri1h 20m Beginner
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.