Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Attaching joints to the support structure, part of Facial Rigging in Maya.
…Once the low poly support structure is in place, we can…move onto the next stage of the process, which involves fastening joints…to the low poly geometry, so that its blend strips are activated…on the support structure the joints will travel along for the ride.…The process of connecting the joints is quite easy,…since we are already familiar with the rivet script.…So the workflow for connecting joints to this…support structure is actually very similar to the…one that we explored earlier when creating true…on-face controls for a blend shape based rig.…
So the first step is that you will need to…make sure that that script has been sourced into Maya.…Remember that to source a script, it should be…placed in your Scripts directory before you start Maya,…or you can drag it from the desktop onto…the work space in Maya to source it manually.…So, I've already gone ahead, and sourced the script.…And, I want to place a rivet at a location on this mesh,…where I know that the character's going to be deforming a lot.…Remember that this support mesh is going to be pulling the joints around.…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya Essentials 5: Animation Toolswith George Maestri1h 20m Beginner
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.