Learn about core principles of the Arnold render engine.
- [Voiceover] Let's take a look…at some core concepts in Arnold rendering.…In contrast to Mental Ray, in previous versions of Maya,…Arnold is primarily a physically-based renderer.…This means it uses physical properties…for lighting and materials.…The parameters and workflows of physically-based rendering…are slightly different from the traditional ones.…You'll need to learn these new methods,…but it's worth it, because you get…a more accurate simulation of materials and lighting.…And ultimately you achieve greater realism with less effort.…
To use Arnold most effectively,…we should know a little bit about the algorithm…that does the computations under the hood, as it were.…Arnold is what's known as a brute force algorithm,…and in fact, the Arnold renderer is named after…famous bodybuilder and politician, Arnold Schwarzenegger.…So it's a nod to the power of brute force approach.…And brute force, in rendering, simply means that…the global illumination is being calculated…on every pixel of the frame.…
And this is in contrast to techniques such as…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Arnold rendering concepts
- Lighting with Maya and Arnold lights
- Controlling exposure
- Filtering light with Barndoor and Gobo
- Light attenuation with decay
- Image-based lighting with SkyDome
- Exterior daylight with Physical Sky
- Arnold standard material attributes
- Mapping material attributes
- Rendering refractions
- Mesh subdivision and displacement at render time
- Shading effects such as ambient occlusion and vertex color
- Camera effects such as fisheye and depth of field
- Animation image sequence rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
Rendering refraction4m 56s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.