Join Eric Keller for an in-depth discussion in this video Applying reflection occlusion, part of Creating Textures and Shaders in Maya.
The Ambient Occlusion texture in mental ray has an option for creating…Reflection Occlusion.…Reflection Occlusion is very similar to Ambient Occlusion in that the parts…of the surface that are in the cracks and the crevices where fewer photons of…lights can reach tend to be less reflective. They're not reflecting as much of the environment.…So in this rendering I have two teapots.…Both of them have just a standard Maya Blinn applied with a very high…reflective value of 1.…So they're almost like mirrors or chrome and the only difference is that this…Blinn texture has an Ambient Occlusion node connected to its Reflectivity…channel and in the settings for the Ambient Occlusion node, I have Reflection…Occlusion activated.…
So I am going to show you how to set this up really quickly.…So I'm going to select the teapot on the left and open up its blinn texture.…This is a blinn1 texture, and I'm going to go down to the Reflectivity option here.…I'm going to go down to the Specular Shading section and for Reflectivity,…
- Understanding shading concepts
- Simulating the Fresnel effect for realistic reflections
- Rendering transparent and translucent surfaces
- Comparing mental ray and Maya standard shaders
- Introducing the mia_material
- Developing shader networks
- Using subsurface scattering shaders
- Mapping polygon UV coordinates
- Incorporating texture nodes into networks
- Improving skin detail with ambient occlusion
- Painting bump maps
- Creating normal and displacement maps
- Troubleshooting maps
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 Essential Trainingwith Michael Ninness11h 15m Beginner
Creating Natural Environments in Mayawith Aaron F. Ross4h 18m Intermediate
Maya: Lighting and Rendering with mental raywith Eric Keller4h 56m Intermediate
1. Shading Concepts
2. Shading in mental ray
4. mental ray Texture Nodes
5. Creating Surface Details with Textures
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.