Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating a zolly, or zoom-dolly, move, part of Cinematography: Maya.
…A zolly is a combination zoom and dolly, or sometimes called a dolly zoom.…And it's a cinematic technique for…imparting a sense of unease or disturbance.…It's used very commonly in horror films.…For example, Alfred Hitchcock used it quite famously.…And the way that it works is by distorting the…perspective of the shot and increasing the amount of foreshortening.…If you dolly…forward and then zoom wide at the same time, it has the effect of…extending the space and making it feel like the z dimension is stretching out.…
And it also exaggerates facial features.…We'll go ahead and frame the shot.…Now, the first thing we want to do with…this camera is actually is zoom in a bit tighter.…It needs to start from more of a telephoto angle.…So, selecting the camera, I want to go into the Shape node and give it a focal…length of let's say, 80 millimeters, which is a pretty tight angle.…And then just using the interactive controls, Alt+middle…and Alt+right, can go ahead and frame that shot.…We want to do a close up on Walter here looking scared.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Getting the most out of viewport cameras
- Controlling camera attributes such as clipping planes
- Setting display options such as Resolution Gate
- Adjusting focal length and field of view
- Previz editing with the Camera Sequencer
- Setting rotation order for predictable camera animation
- Animating simple camera moves such as pan and dolly
- Mastering compound moves such as crane and handheld shots
- Understanding the Film Back attributes
- Achieving isometric and tilt-shift effects
- Projecting a texture from a camera
- Rendering depth-of-field and rack-focus effects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Viewport Camera Basics
2. Renderable Camera Basics
3. PreVIZ Editing with the Camera Sequencer
4. Simple Camera Movement
5. Compound Camera Movement
6. Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.