Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating a rack-focus effect, part of Cinematography: Maya.
…Now that we know the distances from the camera to…the characters, we can go ahead and animate the focus distance.…We'll want to go back into the camera…shape node, and go to View Camera Attribute Editor.…In the Depth of Field section, we want to set key frames on the Focus Distance.…So, on frame one I'll set the Focus Distance to 167.…And that should put Walter in focus. Let's test that by doing a quick render.…I'm rendering this in Maya software.…I'm want to check to see what this result is.…You notice that it renders once, and then…after it's finished rendering it applies the blur.…
Okay that looks really good.…Now she's really out of focus there, and that's really clear what's going on.…I'm going to store that image.…Alright, so that looks good.…So on frame one, I'll key the Focus Distance.…Just simply right-click and choose Set key.…Now a rack focus effect shouldn't be…very long. It should be pretty quick.…Like a second or less.…And so I've just got 24 frames in my timeline here.…I'll go down to frame 24 and I'll set the…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Getting the most out of viewport cameras
- Controlling camera attributes such as clipping planes
- Setting display options such as Resolution Gate
- Adjusting focal length and field of view
- Previz editing with the Camera Sequencer
- Setting rotation order for predictable camera animation
- Animating simple camera moves such as pan and dolly
- Mastering compound moves such as crane and handheld shots
- Understanding the Film Back attributes
- Achieving isometric and tilt-shift effects
- Projecting a texture from a camera
- Rendering depth-of-field and rack-focus effects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Viewport Camera Basics
2. Renderable Camera Basics
3. PreVIZ Editing with the Camera Sequencer
4. Simple Camera Movement
5. Compound Camera Movement
6. Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.