Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating a pedestal-tilt move, part of Cinematography: Maya.
…A pedestal tilt is similar to a track pan. We want to move in a certain…axis, and then rotate in an axis that's perpendicular to that.…Here, we want to position up and down in Y, and rotate in X.…Alright, and we'll get a kind of heroic shot here.…We'll start from a high angle.…I'll select this camera, and I want to move it…up, and then tilt it down a little bit.…Grab the Rotate tool and tilt it down in X.…And this is what's known, by the way, as a subjective…angle, because it gives the impression that there's an active viewer.…
So that's my position in rotation on frame one.…And I want to keyframe translate Y and rotate X,…and from the menu, choose Channels > Key Selected.…And once again, I've got auto key enabled.…I'll go…to frame 48.…And I want to choose the Move tool, and I…want to make sure that I'm only moving in Y.…So, double-click the Move tool and just verify that I'm in World coordinates.…And bring it down a bit, maybe about to,…a little bit below chest level, maybe midriff level there.…
And grab the Rotate tool and rotate up in X.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Getting the most out of viewport cameras
- Controlling camera attributes such as clipping planes
- Setting display options such as Resolution Gate
- Adjusting focal length and field of view
- Previz editing with the Camera Sequencer
- Setting rotation order for predictable camera animation
- Animating simple camera moves such as pan and dolly
- Mastering compound moves such as crane and handheld shots
- Understanding the Film Back attributes
- Achieving isometric and tilt-shift effects
- Projecting a texture from a camera
- Rendering depth-of-field and rack-focus effects
Skill Level Beginner
1. Viewport Camera Basics
2. Renderable Camera Basics
3. PreVIZ Editing with the Camera Sequencer
4. Simple Camera Movement
5. Compound Camera Movement
6. Special Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.