Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating lip sync: The body, part of Character Animation: Maya.
- View Offline
So now let's go ahead and pick this up where we left off and just animate the…rest of the character. So we're going to animate the body of the character, just to give him a…little bit more life.…Now in a shot like this, where we're actually just kind of giving a head-and-…shoulder shot of the character,…we don't have to worry too much about the things that are off the screen, the…things that we don't see.…All we'd really need to do is give the character a little bit of body motion,…just to understand that the body is alive and that it's moving.…In the next chapter, we'll go through full-body animation, …but for this we're just going to do just a little bit, just to kind of give you a taste of it.…
So first thing I want to do is I need to select the body.…Now typically, for a shot like this, I'm going to actually zoom in here, so I…just want to animate the hips of the character to give him a little bit of…bounce in this shot.…One of the most important motions in this is when he shakes his head.…
Prerequisite courses: Maya 2011 Essential Training.
- Using screen-drawing tools for Windows and Mac
- Quickly posing characters with custom MEL scripts and layers
- Understanding forces and their role in creating lifelike animation
- Sequencing and timing pose-to-pose animation
- Fine-tuning transitions
- Animating a character's gait and run
- Crafting realistic facial expressions
- Syncing speech to animated dialogue