Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating a head turn, part of Character Animation: Maya.
- View Offline
Another common task that you'll be faced with is turning your character's head.…Now, head turns are not as simple as they seem on the surface.…Let me show you some of the basics and some of the mechanics of a head turn.…Well, the first thing we need to do is we need to turn our character's head in…one direction and then turn it in another.…So let's go ahead and select our character's head control and let's rotate this…head--let's say a few degrees.…In fact, let's go -20 degrees to the right.…
And I am going to go ahead and set a keyframe there.…And let's go ahead and set another one at frame 10.…We're going to start this at frame 10,…and then we're going to rotate him the other direction.…So if I am doing negative -20 in Y, let's do +20 in Y. So let's just turn him…from one side to the other.…Now, this seems like it's simple; you just rotate the head.…But when we actually play this back, you'll notice that the head really doesn't…have a lot of realism.…
It looks more like a mechanical object that's just turning from one direction to the other.…
Prerequisite courses: Maya 2011 Essential Training.
- Using screen-drawing tools for Windows and Mac
- Quickly posing characters with custom MEL scripts and layers
- Understanding forces and their role in creating lifelike animation
- Sequencing and timing pose-to-pose animation
- Fine-tuning transitions
- Animating a character's gait and run
- Crafting realistic facial expressions
- Syncing speech to animated dialogue