Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating blinks, part of Character Animation: Maya.
- View Offline
Up until this point, we've been animating mostly the body of the character.…Let's go ahead and look at some facial animation.…We're going to start with one of the simplest tasks you can do in facial…animation, and that's the blink.…Now, blinks shouldn't be dismissed;…they actually can give a lot of information about the character.…The rate that the character blinks will determine his mood.…A blink can also draw the audience's attention to the eyes.…So if you have a change in eye direction or something like that, a blink…can signal to the audience, hey, look at the eyes because something is going to change.…
Blinks also let the audience know that the character is alive.…If a character stands in a scene for a long period of time without a blink,…it'll appear like a doll, and it won't appear like it's alive.…So blinks have a lot of different uses.…So let's go ahead and just do some very simple blinks.…I have my full character up here.…The actual scene is called Head CU, and it's basically just a…
Prerequisite courses: Maya 2011 Essential Training.
- Using screen-drawing tools for Windows and Mac
- Quickly posing characters with custom MEL scripts and layers
- Understanding forces and their role in creating lifelike animation
- Sequencing and timing pose-to-pose animation
- Fine-tuning transitions
- Animating a character's gait and run
- Crafting realistic facial expressions
- Syncing speech to animated dialogue