Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Adjusting render passes, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…With all the various layers in place, now we can start adjusting them.…The first and most obvious thing is that these shadows are way too dark.…We can just reduce the opacity of the shadow layer.…Go into our master comp, open up the shadow…raw layer, and open up transform, and you'll see opacity.…And just click on the number and drag to the left to reduce the opacity.…The Maya rendering had very dim shadows.…So an opacity of about 20% is probably going to work here.…
Cool, that was easy.…We can also adjust the brightness of various components.…As I look at this I can see that…the refraction component doesn't seem quite bright enough to me.…So I'll select the refraction layer and add an exposure effect.…Back in effects and presets double click…exposure and let's increase that exposure amount.…Click on the number and drag to the right.…And we can see it brighten up there.…If we bring that up to a value of about one that's opening up by one stop.…And it's doubling the brightness, but you can…see how that's looking a bit over exposed so…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.