Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Adjusting area-light samples, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…Area lights behave a bit differently than point lights, especially in mental array.…There's a setting in an area light that controls the…quality of the illumination and shadows, and that's called its sampling.…But don't confuse that with sampling in the renderer.…They're actually 2 different things.…To refresh your memory if I go back into render…settings, you will see in the quality settings for mental…array, sampling; but this should be more precisely labeled anti-aliasing…because this controls how well the edges of things are softened.…
So, aliasing is jagged edges in a pixel based bitmap.…And this quality setting here controls how well the…renderer is going to soften up those jagged edges.…So just so that we're not confused by low anti aliasing settings, I'm…going to set the anti aliasing quality here to a value of 1.…Close the window and then do a test renderer from camera 1.…Click on it and then click Render the Current Frame.…That rendering took about 10 seconds to complete.…
And as predicted, the anti-aliasing looks more or less okay.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.