Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding image-based lighting, part of Creating Product Shots in Maya.
…Mia makes it very easy to apply image-based lighting to a scene.…In this case, I've got a version of the watch that has no…lights and no environment and a single IBL node will provide all of that.…It'll give us direct illumination, indirect illumination from final…gathering, as well as environment mapping for reflections and refractions.…To effectively use IVL you need to have a high dynamic range image.…A standard ordinary eight byte file is not going to work.…
It won't have enough dynamic contrast.…And that HDR file can be set up either as a spherical…projection or as an angular projection which is a light probe image.…That's when you take a photograph of a chrome sphere.…In this exercise, we're working with a spherical projection…that I created by stitching together several HDR images.…Before you create the IVL node, you'll need to disable default lighting.…If you have no lights in your scene, you'll get default lighting…in a rendering just like you see here in a view port.…
Well, default lighting doesn't know about the IBL node.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with 3ds Max? Check out Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
- Understanding the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Working with mia_material_x
- Creating and optimizing mental ray area lights
- Generating reflections with self-illuminated white cards
- Providing indirect illumination with Final Gathering
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Rendering to a 32-bit file format
- Saving material and lighting components to render passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Shader Networks in Maya and mental raywith Aaron F. Ross5h 28m Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Color Correction
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.