Join Jason Baskin for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding final constraints to keep the entire rig intact, part of Facial Rigging in Maya.
…With the skin weight painting nearly complete,…one of our final rigging tasks is to…ensure that the facial rig moves properly with the rest of the character's body rig.…By adding just a couple of simple constraints to our facial setup, we'll be…free to pose and scale our character…without any unexpected rig stability issues popping up.…So this character has all the joints weighted to the…face, and everything looks like it's moving around pretty well.…But if we select the character's head, which is pulling these joints around, and…rotate the face oh, and we see he's not looking very well.…
So we need to make sure that we address this.…You might remember that when we set up…the rivets, we actually disconnected the orient constraint, so…that the rivet doesn't follow the face mesh at all, and we did need to do that.…But we also need to make sure that we connect the orientation to…some kind of logical point on this character to get the desired result.…So the logical point of rotation on this character's head is of course…
- Understanding morph targets
- Using Soft Select, Artisan Sculpt tools, and symmetry options
- Splitting symmetrical shapes into asymmetrical pairs
- Connecting eye rotation to the GUI
- Working with eyelids, using blend shapes or fan joints
- Creating a basic UI control
- Connecting controls
- Orienting joints and creating a support structure
- Attaching joints to the support structure
- Binding joints to the final mesh
- Balancing shape fidelity with rig density and usability
Skill Level Intermediate
Maya Essentials 5: Animation Toolswith George Maestri1h 20m Beginner
1. The Blend Shape Approach
2. Rigging Eyes and Eyelids
3. Building and Connecting Controls
4. Joint-Based Approach
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.