3D Printing on Shapeways Using Maya
3D printing allows your digital creations to emerge in the real world, but you don't need a 3D printer to bring them to life. Learn how to prepare your models in Maya and then send them for 3D printing on Shapeways, an online service that ships reproductions straight to your door. Author Ryan Kittleson shows how to hollow out models, define an object's thickness, and work with texture maps for full-color prints. He shows you how to export the model, upload it to Shapeways, and view the finished result. Once you have mastered the basics, Ryan invites you to test your skills in a series of challenge videos.
- What is Shapeways?
- Setting up Maya for 3D printing
- Checking model scale
- Understanding why thickness matters
- Adding precise thickness
- Strengthening thin structures
- Fixing common mesh problems
- Exporting models with texture maps
- Making a wireframe model
- Publishing to Shapeways
- Hi, I'm Ryan Kittleson, and welcome to 3D Printing on Shapeways using Maya. In this course, I'll show you everything you need to prepare models for 3D printing. You don't need your own 3D printer for this course, because I'll be showing you how to upload your creations to Shapeways, a service bureau that prints 3D models and then ships them to you. I'll show you how you can use the tools in Maya to get a 3D model ready for printing. I'll show the whole process of finalizing a model to be exported to Shapeways, including hollowing out models, defining an object's thickness, and working with full-color texture maps.
I've been using 3D printing and Shapeways for a while now to bring my digital creations into the physical world. It's always exciting to hold something in your hand that you designed. I'm excited to make some 3D prints with Maya and Shapeways, and I hope you are, too. Let's get to it.
Maya 2014 New Features59,986 Views
ZBrush 3 for Windows Essential Training288,350 Views
Sculpting Portraits in ZBrush63,087 Views
Modeling Vehicles in Maya127,431 Views
Modeling an F1 Wheel in Maya27,944 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,677,913 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Mastery302,307 Views
iOS 8 App Development with Swift 1 Essential Training1,023,812 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Advanced392,023 Views
Edge Animate Essential Training631,862 Views