Some parts are challenging to print in any orientation. Learn ways to deal with prints that have support that might be difficult to remove.
- [Narrator] Sometimes we can avoid support … by reorienting a part or by selectively supporting … just from the platform. … However, there are times when you technically need support, … but removing the support might be so difficult … that you may choose to skip support entirely … or to limit it as much as possible. … We talk about some of those cases here. … This print would most sensibly be printed with the hole … in a vertical, but we'll talk about trying to print … it in the orientation you see here for discussion purposes. … We do not want support in the hole … because it'd be very difficult to remove. … We might try doing no support at all, … but then the hole might be ragged. … With Cura you can get away with pretty aggressive prints … like this flower that was printed without support despite … the significant overhangs. … As we just talked about, there's enough material overlap … from layer to layer so you can get away with this. … In the case of this flower the petals are so thin …
- 3D printing: An overview
- Popular slicing and host programs
- Achieving the best print quality
- Printing hollow and solid components
- Adjusting slicer settings
- Making prints stick to the printer bed
- Adjusting thickness
- Setting printer temperature and speed
- Working with multiple extruders
- Using G-code
Skill Level Intermediate
Design for Additive Manufacturing: FDMwith Kacie Hultgren1h 47m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Additive Manufacturing: Troubleshoot 3D Printswith Rich Cameron1h 43m Intermediate
Who this course is for1m 13s
1. 3D Printer Settings
2. Slicer and Host Programs
3. Slicer Settings: Print Quality
4. Slicer Settings: Making a Print Stick
5. Slicer Settings: Issues with Extruding Hot Plastic
Next steps1m 20s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.