Since 3D prints build up from the platform, support is needed if a piece of your print hangs out into space. Learn how to add support, and how to orient a part to minimize how much support it needs.
- [Instructor] Since 3D prints built out from the platform, … support's needed if a piece … of your print hangs out into space. … The photo we can see here shows an F-shaped piece … that was printed with the horizontal bars of the F parallel … to the platform. … If you print it this way, … the piece needs to have support. … Our letter F requires support if it's printed upright. … To avoid using support, … you might try to reorient the part. … This might not work for a more complex shape, though, … which is why slicers give you the option … of printing support material. … First, we'll tell Cura to generate support … if it feels it's necessary … by clicking the generate support box. … Once we check the generate support box, … other parameters become visible. … First, Cura gives an angle for the maximum overhang … that does not require support. … Note that this angle is defined relative to the horizontal, … so a lower number means more support. … While most slicers have standardized on this convention, …
- 3D printing: An overview
- Popular slicing and host programs
- Achieving the best print quality
- Printing hollow and solid components
- Adjusting slicer settings
- Making prints stick to the printer bed
- Adjusting thickness
- Setting printer temperature and speed
- Working with multiple extruders
- Using G-code
Skill Level Intermediate
Design for Additive Manufacturing: FDMwith Kacie Hultgren1h 47m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Additive Manufacturing: Troubleshoot 3D Printswith Rich Cameron1h 43m Intermediate
Who this course is for1m 13s
1. 3D Printer Settings
2. Slicer and Host Programs
3. Slicer Settings: Print Quality
4. Slicer Settings: Making a Print Stick
5. Slicer Settings: Issues with Extruding Hot Plastic
Next steps1m 20s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.