Sometimes you need to modify the thickness of the first layer, or create a whole temporary first layer called a raft. This video shows the pluses and minuses of each.
- [Instructor] Sometimes a 3D print … just will not stick to the print bed, … even using basic techniques like a skirt or brim. … A more aggressive way to make the print … stick to the platform is to make adjustments … to the height and extrusion width of the first layer. … Or you might need to add another printed layer … below your print, called a raft, in difficult cases. … Let's show this for our cube. … Let's increase the height … and extrusion width of the first layer. … These settings are in the Quality Grouping in Cura, … or you can search on initial layer height. … Either way, let's set initial layer height to .4. … .4 in this case is 80% of the nozzle diameter. … That's about the thickest … you ever want a layer to be in practice. … We'll also take initial layer line width … to 200% or twice as wide. … If our normal layer height is .1 millimeter … this mean we're pushing out eight times as much plastic … as on other layers … because we're using four times the layer height … and the line width is double. …
- 3D printing: An overview
- Popular slicing and host programs
- Achieving the best print quality
- Printing hollow and solid components
- Adjusting slicer settings
- Making prints stick to the printer bed
- Adjusting thickness
- Setting printer temperature and speed
- Working with multiple extruders
- Using G-code
Skill Level Intermediate
Design for Additive Manufacturing: FDMwith Kacie Hultgren1h 47m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Additive Manufacturing: Troubleshoot 3D Printswith Rich Cameron1h 43m Intermediate
Who this course is for1m 13s
1. 3D Printer Settings
2. Slicer and Host Programs
3. Slicer Settings: Print Quality
4. Slicer Settings: Making a Print Stick
5. Slicer Settings: Issues with Extruding Hot Plastic
Next steps1m 20s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.