For the best print resolution, you may need to adjust height of each layer and how many solid layers to have on top and bottom. Better quality may take longer to print, however.
- [Instructor] When you create something … with a 3D printer, … you control how smooth the surface is … when you set the height of each layer. … How long your piece will take to print out … also depends on layer height. … As we'll see, how many solid top and bottom layers … you'll need to use is affected … by the layer height too. … We've launched Cura and loaded an STL file … that we use to demonstrate what happens … and we change these settings. … When you change layer height, … a curved surface is smoother, … but the print takes longer. … First, we show how these affect the dome … 20 millimeters in radius with 0.1 layer height. … If we look at the lower right, … we'll see they'll take 49 minutes to print. … Now do the same thing for layer height of 0.3. … Note how much faster it will be printing, … just about a factor of three. … Here's what the finished prints look like. … In this model, most visible surfaces have perimeters … but you get a bit of the top surfaces poking through …
- 3D printing: An overview
- Popular slicing and host programs
- Achieving the best print quality
- Printing hollow and solid components
- Adjusting slicer settings
- Making prints stick to the printer bed
- Adjusting thickness
- Setting printer temperature and speed
- Working with multiple extruders
- Using G-code
Skill Level Intermediate
Design for Additive Manufacturing: FDMwith Kacie Hultgren1h 47m Intermediate
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Additive Manufacturing: Troubleshoot 3D Printswith Rich Cameron1h 43m Intermediate
Who this course is for1m 13s
1. 3D Printer Settings
2. Slicer and Host Programs
3. Slicer Settings: Print Quality
4. Slicer Settings: Making a Print Stick
5. Slicer Settings: Issues with Extruding Hot Plastic
Next steps1m 20s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.