Join Evan Sutton for an in-depth discussion in this video How to write a press release, part of Digital Release and Promotion Strategies for Musicians.
- Now that you're reaching out to blogs…one of the things that I highly recommend doing…is writing a press release.…A good press release will do a lot of things.…Not only will it give key information about your release,…and contain links, and things like that that people need,…but it also will give really good information…to potential writers who may want to use…some of the things you've said in your press release…in their articles, or in their posts.…So let's take a look at the Thunderbird Juicebox…BMORE 3030-OneSheet,…have that saved as a PDF,…and first of all, do it as a PDF…because then people can't mess with it…and accidentally send it out compromised.…
But just have specific information.…First of all,…you can see that we have the label watermark…in the background, it looks…nice and professional.…That's a logo.…Then we have the album art,…nice and visible.…And…all of the pertinent technical information,…the artist, the EP title,…the catalog number which is basically…the number in the sequence of releases that you have.…
He then discusses email-marketing strategies for capturing contact information, scheduling emails, and working with email marketing platforms like MailChimp. He wraps up the course talking about maintaining momentum with an audience, including consistency in promotion, audience interaction, horizontal networking, and hiring third parties to assist in the project.
- Readying your finished tracks for mastering
- Self-mastering vs. working with a mastering engineer
- Choosing an online aggregator
- Setting a release date
- Targeting blogs that fit your brand
- Writing a press release
- Using social media
- Sending promotional emails
- Maintaining a connection with your audience