Join JK Swopes for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding percussion and other extra elements, part of MASCHINE: Beat Making.
- Now that I have my basic drum pattern down…I want to go in and add some extra effects,…maybe some percussion, just to kind of…sprinkle some different variety onto the track.…Not quite sure what I'm going to do yet,…but I want to start with maybe some percussion…and then look into some effects,…but we'll see how it goes.…(upbeat hip hop music)…I kind of like how that sounds,…and I'm hearin' maybe some types of…little effect or even maybe even a small…vocal snippet, so let's see what we can find.…
(upbeat hip hop music)…So I'm just going through, messing with the…filter on this sound to kind of get it to…fit in where I want.…
(upbeat hip hop music)…So I just went through and kind of…found some little extra small elements,…even with that little vocal snippet,…just going in, filtering it and then adding…a delay just to kind of change it and…give it a nice little character.…
Again, you don't have to go overboard,…but really, it's just about experimentation…and sometimes even the littlest extra…elements can really add something to your track.…
In Chapter 3, JK uses the same techniques to make a new sample-based track—a great way to make custom sounds you won't hear anywhere else. Start watching to learn how to make your own beats with MASCHINE.
- Quantizing beats to align notes
- Making a simple drum pattern
- Adding groove to beats
- Using MASCHINE expansions
- Creating melodies
- Adding bass, percussion, and FX
- Creating pattern variations
- Arranging songs
- Making beats from samples