Join JK Swopes for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding a bass line to the track, part of Beat Making with MASCHINE.
- View Offline
- Now that I have a general idea of my drums and my melodies…I want to go in and add a bass.…Sometimes you can use just a simple bass line…and it really enhance your tracks.…So let's see what we can find out.…I don't want anything too crazy,…maybe a nice smooth sub-bass.…Let's see.…We'll look inside of Massive and see what we have.…One of these expansions.…(electronic beats)…Sounds like it could be something.…
(electronic beat)…Change the octave a little bit.…(slow electronic music)…I like that, so let's put it in.…
Sometimes it doesn't take anything too complex,…it just needs something to kind of complement…what you have going already.…(slow electronic music)…So I chose to go with a simple bass line,…something that complements everything else that's going on…inside of the track that definitely rounds out…that bottom end for me.…
Again, it's all about experimentation and finding out…what fits your track the best.…
In Chapter 3, JK uses the same techniques to make a new sample-based track—a great way to make custom sounds you won't hear anywhere else. Start watching to learn how to make your own beats with MASCHINE.
- Quantizing beats to align notes
- Making a simple drum pattern
- Adding groove to beats
- Using MASCHINE expansions
- Creating melodies
- Adding bass, percussion, and FX
- Creating pattern variations
- Arranging songs
- Making beats from samples